Dow Jones Industrial Average (DJIA) is most reliable Index of USA stock market and represents overall USA stock market. That’s why Dow Jones Industrial average performance is considered US stock market performance and Dow Jones Index average return is generally regard as Market return.
Dow Jones chart shows all the major Dow Jones Industrial Average history from 1920 to present including all bull and bear market and major peaks and crashes of US stock market .
Data source:Yahoo Finance
Key facts of Dow Jones Industrial Average:
Dow Jones industrial average current bull market is the second largest bull market of Dow Jones history. This bull market starts from march 9,2009 and is still running. Dow jones index gained 203.53% (December 11,2016) during this time.
- Dow jones longest bull market was from 1987 to 2000. Dow Jones longest bull market was dominated by computer technology revolution. This bull market is also known as dot com bubble.
- Dow Jones worst bear market was from 1929 to 1932. Dow Jones industrial average lost its 86 % value during this bear market. Dow came down from its peak 381.17 points to its lowest point 41 points during this bear market. This recession is also known as Great Depression.
- Dow Jones peak point closing was 18312.Dow reached its peak point in May 19 2015.
- Dow Jones worst losing year was 1931. During this time Dow lost its 52 percent value in a single year.
- Dow Jones index best performing year was 1933. During this time, DJIA gained 74% value in a single year.
- Dow Jones faced last correction in October 24 .This is also one of the largest point losing day of Dow Jones history.
- Dow Jones maximum point gain was 936 points in a single day. Dow Gained this points in October 13, 2008.
- Dow Jones index maximum point loss was 777 point is a day. Dow lost this point in September29, 2008
Dow 30 Components and Returns:
Dow Jones industrial average (DJIA) consists of 30 components and Dow 30 components are not permanent. Dow Jones Stocks components have changed 51 times since inception. Current Dow 30 components are :
5 Year Average Return (%)
1 Year Return(%) (2016)
|American Express||AXP||Consumer Finance||1982-08-30||8.748174||9.842742|
|Boeing||BA||Aerospace and Defense||1987-03-12||12.62185||9.943205|
|Caterpillar||CAT||Construction and Mining equipment||1991-05-06||4.196866||44.84872|
|Cisco Systems||CSCO||Computer Networking||2009-06-08||11.01314||16.6957|
|Chevron||CVX||Oil & Gas||2008-02-19||5.954124||35.90671|
|Walt Disney||DIS||Broadcasting and Entertainment||1991-05-06||13.24739||0.836176|
DOW Jones Industrial Average
|Goldman Sachs||GS||Banking, Financial Services||2013-09-20||17.37559||36.92342|
|Home Depo||HD||Home Improvement Retailer||1999-11-01
|IBM||IBM||Computers and Technology||1979-06-29||0.654496||26.74214|
|Johnson & Johnson||JNJ||Pharmaceuticals||1997-03-17||11.85724||16.0099|
|Procter & Gamble||PG||Consumer Goods||1932-05-26||7.205911||10.1407|
|UnitedHealth Group||UNH||Managed Health care||2012-09-24||8.948294||15.54799|
|ExxonMobil||XOM||Oil & Gas||1928-10-01||4.449081||20.71885|
Source: Wikipedia and Yahoo Finance DataNOTICE: This article was based on research of stock market information and other sources of information, found both online and in print media. Neither tradingninvestment.com nor any of its owners, contributors, officers, directors, consultants, or employees take responsibility for the accuracy of the information contained in this article or the accuracy of the information on which this article was based. tradingninvestment.com was not compensated by any of the companies mentioned in this article for the preparation of this material, nor were the materials approved by the companies which were mentioned.